Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How do you stay occupied on long plane flights?

I have a 17 hour plane flight to South Africa in August (over 34 hours on a plane total). I don't want to take anything too expensive because we are staying in townships, and I know I won't sleep for most of the flight... I am a nervous flyer, so I don't get very far in books when I fly... What are good things to pass time on a long flight? Any tips to keep busy? Any crafts or puzzles that are good for flights?|||Bring some interesting magazines. They don't require the patience that a book does. You might consider investing in one of those little DVD players with the viewscreen built in along. That way you're not limited to whatever schlock the airline is trying to put in front of you. Video games are good too - maybe a PSP?|||http://answers.yahoo.com/quest…

Report Abuse


|||iPod's are the greatest!

Report Abuse


|||electronic games


mp3 players


food


puzzle books


books magazines


drawing pads


anything u can purchase at the airport

Report Abuse


|||i agree with what greengasp said.are you stupid?every long distance flight has PLENTY of entertainment including over 50 movies in multiple languages,flight magazines, games%26amp;music,even news.gimme a break.

Report Abuse


|||JOIN THE MILE HIGH CLUB, lol

Report Abuse


|||Portable DVD player batteries don't last long. Don't bother bringing one.

Report Abuse


|||Stupid Yahoo won't let me delete the first comment... lol

Report Abuse


|||not the best answer....

Report Abuse


|||ahahahaha this deservers to be on the best of yahoo! You suck

Report Abuse


|||muscle relaxers.......need i say more.

Report Abuse


|||i would buy ear plugs then put them in then maybe listen to my favorite song.

Report Abuse


|||How is this a featured answer? The asker couldn't even be bothered to pick an answer, and the answer that did win (with one vote) had items which were too expensive. The question asked for inexpensive things.

Report Abuse


|||I'm going on a nine hour flight to Hungary in September. I'm nervous about the flight back. It's a connecting flight. I don't want to miss the plane or lose my luggage. Of course, I'm not alone, but I've never been on a connecting flight lol :P

Report Abuse


|||I'm bringing reading material when I go to Hungary. Of course, there will be a movie and some music for me if I want, but I bought comics (Archie, V for Vendetta, animes) and then I have a Cosmo lol

Report Abuse


|||get a psp or partable dvd player and watch a movie on it or sleep thats what i do and it takes up about 2 or 3 three hours and then watch ur movie for the rest of the time.

Report Abuse


|||Have Fun!

Report Abuse


|||If you can, sleep -- it'll really help pass the time. Set an alarm clock for about when the plane will land if you are worried about missing your crossover flight.

Report Abuse


|||ipod, audiobooks, dvd player, a Nintendo DS or PSP, a puzzle (rubix cube), comics, manga, magazines. Many transatlantic flights have a selection of films, games and sometimes music. I know I already mentioned it but audiobooks are a good alternative to actual books.

Report Abuse


|||ipod and talking to people

Report Abuse


|||DVD players are forbidden in the Plane! Duh!





Ipod is better.

Report Abuse


|||well personally at some point all these things mentioned above would get me dizzy...so i think u should count on your ipod and get those really big ear phones and rock your music...and try and spot a hottie on the flight...*wink

Report Abuse


|||i masterbate

Report Abuse


|||Nintendo DS is soooo fun haha there are many games you can get like the brain game or something!

Report Abuse


|||Nintendo DS is soooo fun haha there are many games you can get like the brain game or something!

Report Abuse


|||I'm the same way when it comes to reading books on a flight, I always stop mid-paragraph and look around or start thinking. Anyway, magazines, in-flight movies, music, hand held games, walking around the plane, maybe you could even start a conversation with some people, that could take away some of the hours. Writing in a journal, drawing, crossword puzzles (although I get bored with them very easily), or just stuff yourself with food so that you will sleep longer lol. I'm also about to take a 27-hr flight total (including a 13-hr. layover) with my 7-month old. I will have to keep myself and him busy also!! Have a safe flight and enjoy S. Africa!|||I took a 13 hour flight before, I was happy that I brought my laptop for games. munchy foods like cheeze its candy and so on, also I brought some magazines, a seek and find book, a puzzle book... thats really all you can do!


enjoy your trip and be safe!|||bring loads of games.


also, i know you said nothing expensive but if oyu have an ipod bring one.


also bring many dvds.


and a portable dvd player.


i know these may be expensive but you have to.|||Whenever i fly i bring a psp(or other handheld game systems) sudoku, crosswords, books,and plus if its a thirtfour hour flight they will have individual tvs on the seats so you can watch! :)|||nintendo ds is so much fun. if you can't afford one maybe you can borrow one from a friend! i love mario games!|||i usually bring tons of magazines and my ipod.|||I have never flown that long, but I have some ideas. Don't rely on ONE solution, bring variety. I like to buy EASY crossword puzzles. Friends tease me for buying the easy ones, but I think it is more fun to finish it than to struggle with it. I bring a few different magazines also, each one very different. You don't have to stick with it for as long as a novel. A portable DVD as others suggest is a good idea, but the battery is NOT going to last for the whole flight, but for PART of the flight it is a good idea. The plane will have a movie I am sure, and may even have someting like radio, where you can listen to a bunch of different stations of music and talk. I love books on CD while I drive in the car. If you have or can get a portable CD player with headphones, you can borrow the "books" at the library for free, and pick something with a LOT of discs (unabridged) and something like a murder mystery or a spy novel, so you will get really into it and not want it to end. You might knit or crochet - it is cheap and compact, but check that it is permitted to bring knitting needles or crochet hook onto a plane. If you don't know how, this is the perfect time to teach yourself! Get a simple beginners book in the yarn department of your local store, and learn while you fly. Also, on a long flight, you should get up and walk around often, at least once an hour, or you will end up with swollen feet and therefore tight shoes.|||I just went to Russia - 15 hours both ways - I feel for you (that doesn't include the layovers.) First of all, you need to see your travel doctor. Mine gave me ambien and valium for the flight and the first night there so I didn't get bad jet lag - you should sleep as much as you can on the flight, then once you are there, stay awake until it's time to sleep their time. The jet lag won't be so bad - mine wasn't. Or you could try benadryl.


OTHERWISE, I took tons of stuff to keep busy - I took magazines books, a zune with music AND shows, and we had a DVD player for my son. And honeslty, the only thing I actually used was the plane's built in music and tv/movie shows. Most planes nowadays have earphones they give you as well as a screen in the back of each seat to watch both movies and tv shows. I watched a lot of tv shows and kind of dozed during them.


Puzzles wouldn't work, maybe word puzzles - sudoku, crossword, etc.


If you knit or cross stitch or anything, that would be great.


However, I would seriously suggest you getting as much sleep on the flight as possible - it really helps with jet lag and makes the time go faster! Good luck! Have fun - it's a great experience to see other parts of the world!|||You can play cards, Ispy, watch movies, listen to music, read a magazine, and/or go to sleep. also you can just start a conversation with some random cute person next to you. or you can do like me and put make up on.|||bring a sleep aid





answer mine http://answers.yahoo.com/question/;_ylc=…|||bring a computer backgammon game along.play against the computer.|||Alcohol and bring a laptop/mp3 player.|||Sudoku draw read est sleep bug people i don't know|||go to sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment