Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What plane model and/or manufacturer would be best for a missionary pilot?

I want to be a christian missionary pilot as my job when I get my license (I'm 16). So my questions are. 1. What is generally the best all around bush plane model and/or manufacturer? 2. What area is most in need of a bush pilot? 3. About how much would a bush pilot make a year? 4. How much would it cost to get the proper license? Thank you for your answers!|||1. The Quest Kodiak was specifically designed for missionary work. It is a single-engine turboprop with 8 seats I believe. Other aircraft used extensively are the Cessna 206, Cessna Caravan, DeHavilland Canada Twin Otter, and the Beechcraft Super King Air.





2. Indonesia and Papua New Guinea, Haiti, Democratic Republic of the Congo are all places that really need missionary pilots.





3. Most NGOs will pay around 50-60K/yr plus relocation and benefits.





4. Lots. A basic commercial license with the required ratings can run around $50K total. There are Bible colleges which offer these packaged with other Bible courses as well (which you will need) and will be considerably more. Many will require you to get a mechanics license as well.





Most Missionary organizations require more than just a basic license, because it is some of the toughest flying there is to do. You would need to build your hours in an entry-level flying job before joining. Also, most have a minimum overseas commitment (like four years) and they would prefer you to stay longer.





http://www.maf.org/|||I think it is WONDERFUL that you want to help missionaries. That is a very worthwhile goal. It's also great that you are thinking ahead. I think you are going to need to rethink the specific way you'd like to help. In my experience there isn't enough demand for the specific venture you have in mind.





I have many many missionary friends. People in all parts of the world, and not one has mentioned the need for a bush pilot. Now I'm not saying no one ever needs air transportation to a remote region. But what I am suggesting is that the need is so rare that it wouldn't amount to anything close to a full time job.





Most missionaries stay a long time in one place, and contrary to the popular romantic notion, most missionaries are not in Africa, they are found all over the world. Why one of my daughters is in the process of becoming a full time foreign missionary to Germany.





I would suggest you explore missionary opportunities through an organization like Young Life. (I've listed a few of these organizations below under "What's your source?" They would be in a good position to let you know the full range of missionary and missionary support opportunities that exist.





Again, I think it is great that you want to help in missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment