Friday, September 23, 2011

Is the piper tomahawk a good first plane? Is it reasonable to fly and maintain?

I am working towards my private pilot's certificate in az, and I wonder if it would be cheaper to rent or to buy a reasonably priced plane such as the tomohawk. I don't have a lot of capital to work with. (I am 26 and married!)|||While the PA 38 has a reputation as having an "aggressive" spin tendency, I have flown a couple with no problems.


There are "better" trainers out there for the same money, however, with an experienced (in traumahawks) instructor


and a plane in good condition, you should have no worries.


Renting could prove to be more expensive, but so could an unexpected $8K annual inspection....BTDT!


I recommend you hold off purchasing until after your private training, you might find that you prefer another plane or for some reason, cannot continue to fly, then you will not be stuck with an unwanted/unneeded plane.


Good luck to you.|||Avoid the Tomahawk.





I have about 20 hours in the thing and that's all I want.





It's underpowered, approaches too fast and has a "bungee" for a trim system. I've never stalled one but it has a horrible reputation in stall characteristics.





If your body is small enough and you want to purchase a trainer, my advice is look at the c150/152.





For most people it doesn't make financial sense to buy, if you are planning on selling after you become a private pilot.





You can email me if you want more info on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment