Friday, September 9, 2011

After you ride a plane, how do you get that weird feeling out of your ears?

As the plane goes up, my ears pop, and get plugged. When we land, sometimes my ears stay plugged. Usually I try yawning and other methods but I want to know the best one. It feels like swimmers ear except I didn't swim. If you have flown on a plane you probably know how it feels. I can't hear very good, my ears sometimes hurt, etc.|||This was a procedure when I was in the USAF flying in KC-135 tankers.


First take your right arm and lift it over and across the top of your head and grab the top of your left ear. Lean your head to the right while pulling your ear upwards. Now pinch your nose with your other hand and gently pressurize your melon. it should clear. Do the same for the other side. Next take a hold of both ears with both arms crossed over your head, hold your breath and pull your head out of your butt :^D|||I tried below suggestions without sucsess. I had my ear plugged 6 days until I read this. It took several pop's to completely drain my ear, and every time I pulled my ear and bent my head, it was 100% effective in clearing more fluid and making hearing possible. If I only knew 6 days earlier!

Report Abuse


|||Yawn, chew gum, or swallow air. It helps a lot I always do it when flying.|||Take a deep breath. Plug your nose. Close your mouth. Then try blowing air out your ears. They will start to pop then follow with a big yawn.|||As the plance descends, I usually hold my nose and blow so my ears pop. Othewise, it is too painful. I also take a sinus pill before I get on, so my sinuses are drained. The ringing and muffled-ness should last no more that 30 minutes afterwards though. If it lasts longer, you should go to the dr. because this could be a sign of wax buildup and that can be easily fixed.|||Pilots and scuba divers use a technique called the Valsalva manoever, where you plug your nose and pressurize the inside of your head by trying to blow out through your ears.





I also learned a very funny technique from another commercial pilot, recommended for children. You need an empty thread spool, a rubber band, and a disposable latex glove. Put the wrist end of the glove around the thread spool and secure it there with the rubber band, so that the fingers and thumb hang off, but the only way for air to get in and out of the glove is through the spool of thread.





Now the child plugs one nostril, and puts the other nostril against the spool of thread, and inflates the glove by blowing out through her nose. When the glove is inflates, the child lets the presure blow back into the nostril, while saying aloud "chocolate cookies."





(Just saying "chocolate cookies" several times while giggling may do the trick, as the muscles required to do this help to open the eustachian tubes and allow pressure to equalize.)|||My ears hurt so badly that chewing gum and yawning don't help. I discovered by accident that ear plugs do.





I already had custom made earplugs made out of silicon and molded to my ears that I got at a motorcycle show. Wore them on a red-eye to get some sleep. Not only did they drown out the noise, my ears didn't hurt. I wear them on all flights now.





Maybe the store-bought earplugs will work well enough for you. If not, try getting the custom ones. They are easier to put in, go deeper, and are custom made to your ear.|||Chew gum. Works every time.|||hi,


ask the air-hostesses to give cotton balls and you won`t get the pop


or hurt|||I hold my breath and then yawn|||Yawn and swallow.|||try wearing ear planes (ear plugs) on the flight...they are available at your pharmacy|||Chew gum, always works for me. don't worry i know exactly how it feels.|||that same thing happens to me after i fly and my ears sometimes stay plugged for days. recently, i bought some ear plugs when i had to fly and they work the best for me, compared to other methods such as chewing gum and trying to yawn. but, make sure you get a decent pair, nothing cheap. also, make sure they are down far enough into your ear and positioned correctly. good luck and safe flying!|||Chew gum and try to pop your ears. y'know, when you're in the mountains and you rise or fall in elevation, you pop your ears.





Chew gum when the plane takes off. it will stop your ears from becoming stuffy. And take another piece of gum when you start to descend.|||I usually do any of the following:


1) Yawn to unblock the pressure in the ears


2) Press my nostril together and blow, this will push pressure outwards of your ears


3) Swallow your saliva, this will suck the pressure inwards of your ears

No comments:

Post a Comment